10 TIPS FOR SAFE DRIVING IN WORK ZONES:
- Pay attention orange diamond-shaped warning signs or electronic message boards posted in advance of a road construction project.
- Be alert and expect the unexpected.
- Minimize distractions by avoiding changing the radio station, using cell phone, etc.
- Pay close attention and heed directions on work zone warning signs. Signs and work zone flaggers save lives.
- Watch how the traffic ahead is flowing.
- Keep an eye out for construction workers, their equipment and vehicles, as well as the vehicles around you.
- Use extra caution when driving through a site at night.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and traffic barriers, trucks, construction equipment and workers.
- Watch for stopped or slowing traffic. Do not tailgate.
- Stay calm. Work zones aren’t there to personally inconvenience you. They’re necessary to improve the roads for everyone.
For more information on work zone safety training at Sheffield, click here.